Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Trying this circuit tonight

Is this going to hurt?!!
Because I obviously need to get into better shape (let's not even talk about fighting shape!), I'm going to try this circuit in a few minutes.
Start with [Nathan: what does he mean START!!!]
  • 5-10 burpees (you can do more or less depending on your fitness level)
  • 25 Pushups
  • 50 Bodyweight Squats
  • 25 Leg Lifts or roman twist
  • 5-10 Pullups (you can do more or less depending on your fitness level)
Rest for one minute and repeat for 3 more sets. A total of 4 sets
NOTE: If you don’t have a pullup bar, then shadow box by doing 1-2 combos for 50 reps
I'll tell you how it goes within about an hour. I will update this post with the results... 

RESULTS (10 minutes later):
OK, Mike, I promised I'd post this, and here it is. Doh!


  • 5 Burpees



  • 25 Pushup [this is made difficult by my wrist issues - I'll be doing them on my fists from now on]



  • 34 Bodyweight Squats [this was the hardest part - embarrassing!]



  • 25 Leg Lifts or roman twist [I don't know what a Roman Twist is yet, so I did the leg lifts]



  • 50 1-2s [I used good form, punching through my imaginary target, a good lead, and retract to good guard position]



  • Source: Straight to the Bar

    For more information:
    Burpee video
    Straight to the Bar
    RossTraining.com

    Technorati Tags:


    ____
    Like this post? Subscribe to our feed, or by email and you won’t miss a thing.
    Interact with us at our TDA Training Facebook page!
     
    All original material is copyright of their respective authors.
    All rights reserved. Permission must be obtained before use. Copyright 2008

    4 comments:

    Steve said...

    That's a good workout! We do burpees pretty often. Terrific exercise. 10 is definitely brutal. Sometimes, when guys show up late, they're given a burpee for each minute they're late. Gets them warmed up quick! :)

    Hope it went well!

    Unknown said...

    Thanks Steve. I'm so out of shape that anything'll work right now, but I'm trying to focus on bodyweight-only, and limited space since I travel a lot.
    I AM going to feel this tomorrow.
    I like the burpee per minute late idea - hmmm. My future students will curse your name!

    Kicksboxes Rick said...

    Nice Workout Nathan!

    Getting back into condition is never easy but well worth the effort.

    Don't go too hard at first, give your body time to adjust to the new demands. If you get injured or pull a muscle, it'll just take longer to heal and give you an excuse to stop working out.

    Stay with it, do a little more everyday, and before you know it, you'll be doing 100 burpies! 500 body squats! It's all totally possible... it just takes time and dedication.

    Remember, "Today we do what others won't, so that tomarrow we can do what others can't."

    Respectfully,

    Rick

    somaserious said...

    I've just discovered bodyweight training and I have to say so far it's gotten me a lot farther in terms of training for martial arts. I'll have to try this circuit, seems like fun (heh, heh)! I'll be doing hill sprints soon because I hate running and would much rather run up a hill. How have your knees taken the burpees? I've also incorporated handstand push-ups instead of pull-ups. You should give them a try;)

    Karrie