Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Real-life Pit Bull Encounter

Pit bull attack I spent the day traveling with a retired police officer with 27 years of law enforcement experience, several years as a chief, who related the following [paraphrased]:

"Speaking of pit bulls, they are extremely hard biters. While on a call, I was attacked by one who started on my left forearm, and worked his way up to my shoulder, and was almost on my neck. It was pure luck, but I grabbed his chain and as I was turning around, trying to get the dog off of me, accidentally swung the chain around and it caught in the pit bull's mouth as he release my shoulder to bite my neck. I wrapped the chain around his head with it in his mouth and that ended it."

He said that his partner asked him why he didn't just "shoot the damn dog," and he replied, "When a dog is chewing on your arm you don't think about things like that. You just want to get the f****** thing away from you!"

We then discussed the predominant instinct in law enforcement to draw you firearm, and how at close quarter that's, many times, the wrong thing to do, but that's a subject for another post.

For an idea of the ferocity of these types of attacks, please watch the following video
[Content warning: violent and disturbing footage]:

For more information:

TDA About Dog Attacks
TDA More on defending against dog attacks
TDA Confirmation on information on dog attacks
Crime Information Dog Attacks - Best Self Defense Products
Crime Information Dog Attacks Climbing
Defend University How can you deal/handle stray dog attacks
About.com How To Avoid a Dog Attack

Photo credit

No comments: