Thursday, March 30, 2006

More on defending against dog attacks

In my previous post about dog attacks, we learned a little about why, how, and when it happens. This article discusses what to do. I am going to ask my resident K-9 expert to review this for accuracy and update it.

Please read the whole thing. Some points:

“My name is Adam Katz. For [approximately] seven years, I owned a company called South Bay K-9 Academy. I currently own the web site: Dogproblems.com. And I am the author of the widely acclaimed book, "Secrets of a Professional Dog Trainer!"

- If the dog is a trained personal protection or police dog and it is a good specimen: You have no chance. All of this nonsense about kicking the dog at the right time is baloney. Your best chance of surviving is to stand absolutely still. If you are unarmed, and you try to fight the dog, you will lose. The dog is fast enough to bite you two or three times before you even realize where you've been bit. And by then... it's over. Anyone who does not believe me can contact me, and we will outfit you with a padded suit and you can give it your best shot.

- You cannot outrun a dog. Even a big, heavy slow dog like as a Rottweiler.

- If the dog is not a professionally trained dog, you may be able to intimidate the dog with forward-leaning body language and moving directly in towards the dog, making direct eye contact. However, make sure that the dog has an easy way to turn and escape. If he feels cornered, you're in big trouble. (This technique relies on using the dog's psychology.) [Although this technique will work very often, there is still a good chance that you may get bit. Better to stay still and call for help, or back away slowly until you can get to an object that will help separate you from the dog.]

- It is a myth that a well trained dog is taught to bite and hold on to one arm. A good dog that is taught to bite the arm will also be taught to release the first arm and bite the other arm when it comes close to his face. Furthermore, many trained dogs are taught to take chest bites, back bites, leg bites, etc...

- Stun guns often work well to deter untrained dogs. The electrical sound will very often scare them away. [Buy one at a local hardware store (or on the internet) that makes a loud crackling sound (most do) and keep it with you when you jog, go for a walk or a hike.]

- Pepper spray works well on some dogs. On others, it is ineffective.

- Kicking or punching a trained dog will be ineffective. We've documented several cases where large breed dogs were latched on to an individual and neighbors ran out and beat the dogs over the head with baseball bats and the dogs did not let go. (Again, it depends on the dog, but if you're going to put together a defense strategy, it's important to take this into consideration.

- Let me recap: For both a trained or untrained dog, your best defense is to stand absolutely still. If the dog walks around behind you, turn smoothly but slowly to face the dog. Do not try to run or move quickly as you will turn into prey. Keep a stun gun on your person, or at least pepper spray. Aim for the nose.

++++++++++++
UPDATED: Per my resident K-9 expert, this information is correct. See post here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not the least bit afraid of any german shepherd or rottweiler, and I'm sure I can take one out - regardless of training on the dog's part. Dog's are very easy to defeat, and I think the author of this article is a loser.

Why would I ever want to kick or punch a dog? Why wouldn't I encourage the bite, clinch up(taking away all the dog's power right there) and then execute the takedown followed by ground control. There is no dog in the world that is a threat to me or anyone who is skilled.

I honestly hope I get attacked by a rottweiler or german shepherd because the most I will get is a minor bite out of it and the dog will likely die. Wow a dog can withstand kicks & punches? Thanks for the FYI retard. Now let me know what fido is going to do when I clinch up. I can move forward faster than the dog can move backward idiot. I can easily control any of your dogs on the ground. I could stand there for 30 minutes at a time clinched up with your dog and get at most a minor bite wound. Dogs can only generate force when they have total freedom of movement.