Sunday, September 10, 2006

Remembrance of a Day of Terror: A September 11 Retrospective


Read this The Patriot Post - Day of Terror: A September 11 Retrospective. September 11, 2001, I was working in my office on a beautiful, sunny morning (Virginia). I remember being alerted by the lieutenant in the office next to mine that something had just happened. I rushed over in time to watch live footage of the World Trade Center tower that had been hit by an airliner a few minutes before. As we watched in horror, another plane careened toward, then slammed into the WTC. It's been said before, and was said many time since that day - everything changed, we were under attack! As we watched, in the skies above DC, another plane was about to hit the Pentagon, and I began to worry for the life of my mother, an elementary school teacher on Capitol Hill. Like many who were in the area, I worried for the life of loved ones. I watched in awe and horror as those who were about to be incinerated alive, instead leapt to certain death from hundreds of feet, but at least a death of their choosing...

That day has since passed, we have uprooted al-Qa'ida and the Taliban from Afghanistan, deposed Saddam Hussein, and are helping to foster democracy among those who have never known it. We are still a beacon of hope for those around the world who want a better life and yearn for freedom. We are the only hope for those trapped in the gulag of North Korea and the tyranny of the Iranian regime.


Regardless of anything else we do this day, let us not forget...


No comments: