Friday, May 12, 2006

FLOYD PATTERSON, 1935-2006

From NO HOLDS BARRED: FLOYD PATTERSON, 1935-2006:

"Floyd Patterson, the former two-time heavyweight champion of the world, and one of the most beloved and popular figures in the world of boxing, died Thursday at the age of 71."
I've always loved boxing, growing up at a time when you could actually watch the championship fights on TV(!), and everyone knew who the heavyweight champion was, if not several other weight classes. Though the fight between Ali and Patterson occurred before my time, I loved reading the stories of his trainer Cus D'Amato bringing him up from obscurity, and watched with great interest as that figure from the past (D'Amato) brought the young Mike Tyson up in the same way.

His conflicts with Ali aside, I don't remember anyone ever disparaging Floyd Patterson, and wish I could have met him. Condolences to his family and friends.- NDT

No comments: