Saturday, April 08, 2006

Update on my Ultimate Fighter 3 post

I got an email from my MMA buddy Brian reference my previous post on the TUF3, and he says I need to catch up on the sport, 'cause my ignorance shows - I'm sure he's right. I explained that I hadn't followed the UFC since the beginning. I dismissed it then because it was an experiment in matching different martial arts.

I'm looking forward to learning more about it because combat (and contact) sports have always been my favorite. I know I've written before on this, but it seems that in then beginning, the UFC was designed to showcase what the Gracies did, groundfighting, and stacked the deck against strikers, especially kickers. I can tell you that when I first got into a ring after years of training on concrete or hardwoood, the padding in a regular ring sucks power from your striking and kicking techniques because you can't push off the same - it gives. Also, a padded floor (octagon) meant that you had no fear of taking someone to the ground, or being on the bottom, whereas on a hard surface, you may just want to stay on top. I know what you're going to say about how effective the Gracies proved ground fighting to be, and I'm not disputing it, but it seems that they were too effective, and the pendulum has swung the other way. With the padded gloves, punching has been encouraged, and, from what I can see, strikers have more of a chance. It makes for better TV and new spectators without grappling experience can understand it, while it also shows the shortcomings of a stand-up-only game.


I think Brian's right - I'm going to love it ...

No comments: