Sunday, June 24, 2012

I think they knew they messed with the wrong girl

image

A story with a lot of self-defense lesson. Watch the video.

First of all, Ms. Dang can obviously handle herself very well, and was more than a match for her assailants this time.

What can we learn from this encounter?

  1. The attackers used common distraction techniques to outflank and surprise her in the first place.
    “Two teens came up to her on their bikes. One went in front and made eye contact with me like a smirk, like I thought he was saying 'hi.' The next thing I knew I was pretty much groped on my bottom behind left side," Dang said.”

    LESSON: She was running by herself, and probably appeared to be an easy target. Small, female, alone. You want to minimize your vulnerability – do not run alone. If you must, do so in a very public area so that there are many witnesses. Make sure you look around you.
  2. She attacked first.
    "So I grabbed him and said, 'You need to apologize, and he did,'" Dang said.
    But it escalated when she says the second teen started swearing at her.
    "It just made something snap in me – it's not OK. It's so disrespectful," Dang said.
    That's when her Kung Fu background really kicked in as she punched him twice in the face.
    "He started coming in for a few, and I was lucky enough to dodge his shots. I came up for another one and I got him good, and I think that upset him," she said.
    After the second hit, Dang said the teen pulled out a four-inch blade.

    LESSON: If you attack, make it a finishing blow if you can. Devastating the first attacker may take the fight out of the second. In this case, it escalated when the teen pulled out a knife. Her response was to keep her distance. A good response may be to use something as a shield or cover, for example, a light post, fire hydrant, or vehicle.

What are your thoughts?

Read the whole story here.

2 comments:

Noah said...

Confronting them may have felt empowering to her, but it was stupid--she could have just kept running after she was groped and escalated only if they pursued. At that point, I totally agree with your idea that when you strike you need to finish the attacker, but I suspect she probably could have just smacked the offending hand away and kept going.

Unknown said...

Great story every body must have discipline like this girl and she used her kung fu skills by punishing the bad ones.
martial arts websites