Sunday, December 28, 2008

TDA Sunday Cinema: Lethal Weapon I – BJJ on display

Lethal Weapon 

To my knowledge, Lethal Weapon was the first display of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in a mainstream film (or any film that I’ve seen). This was prior to the original UFC,  which was a Gracie showcase. Be honest, had you heard of BJJ at the time? I had not, and don’t remember when I started hearing about the Gracie Challenge in Black Belt magazine. Watch this scene.

Trivia and stuff about this film (most via IMDB):

  1. Why has Gary Busey been a villain so often? Per IMDB, “he was hired to play Joshua because they were looking for someone big and menacing enough to be a believable foe for Mel Gibson. Busey also credits the film for reviving his failing movie career.”
  2. And check out the ‘80s hair on Mel Gibson! I’m thinking he’s got a little of the Billy Ray Cyrus thing going on, don’t you?
  3. Gunophile movie mistake: Riggs continually references a "hollow-point" bullet when talking about his suicide plan, yet he is clearly holding a bullet with a full metal jacket both times it is shown.

UPDATE: Per his site, Rorion Gracie choreographed both Lethal Weapon and Lethal Weapon 3.

Technorati Tags: ,,,,,,

3 comments:

BSM said...

Geez when that movie came out I don't think I was in a martial art. Now I do feel old!

Mike Wilson said...

They probably still called it Judo then.

Anonymous said...

"They probably still called it Judo then."

Hell no, Lethal Weapon was made in the 80s, BJJ was used in Vale Tudo in the 60s, probably earlier too.