Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Today's TDA Tip: How to improve sparring using video

I think the best way to improve technique is video. That said, how do you use video to improve your technique? I'll get specific about how I use it:

I usually watch video four times.

The first time, I just watch everything, defocusing my vision, and just watch as a spectator, uncritically. From this you will pick up the ebb and flow of the match or situation. The main thing I look for here is the strategy (if there is one) that's in use.

The second and third time around, I focus on one fighter for how he react, what his technique is like, and what tactics he's using, and whether they're successful.

Finally, I watch slow motion on specific parts of the match to see why the techniques were successful.

Thanks for reading TDA Training!

No comments: