Tuesday, February 28, 2006

5 Brazilian-Jujutsu Techniques for Females, and the rest of us!

Whether you teach women's self-defense (WSD), as Mr. Bertolino and I do, or just want to be able to effectively defend yourself, there are few systems or styles more battle-tested than BJJ (Brazilian Jujutsu), specifically the Gracie family's variety. When I teach self-defense to men, I always start with the techniques that I teach in WSD, for one reason-they're effective. Let me put it this way, if a 110-pound woman can successfully use a technique on me (shamefully, 220-pounds!), then I should be able to use the same technique on a 300-poound man. If not, I shouldn't be teaching it.

I was fortunate to have so many large students. For example, I had a student in the early 90s who played for the Giants, Redskins, and KC (I think) as a defensive lineman. He was great to try things on, and I learned as much as he did. Anyway, this article features techniques from Rorion Gracie’s RapeSafe program.

In summary, unless you're as big as Andre the Giant, read this and learn...

No comments: