Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A World Without Fathers

There's a strong correlation to the absence of fathers, specifically, from communities with higher rates of violent crime. This may be old news to most of you, the recent execution killings of three young people is a tragedy, and one that points to the issue of violent crime in Newark, as well as many communities, inner-city or not. I find little with which I disagree in this Albert Mohler post, "Without Fathers, Without Rules, Without Consequences, Without Hope."

Why am I posting about this at TDA? It's not a political issue, it's a moral issue. As martial artists, we have an obligation to ethical behavior. As instructors, even more so. We define our legacy to our young students by living the behaviors we espouse through our teachings. Can we do more?

2 comments:

Patrick Parker said...

Ha! I agree. My wife took a photo of my kids and made me a card for Father's day. The pic was of all four of them sucking pacifiers or their thumbs and the caption said "Without you, everything would SUCK!" I'll have to dig up that pic in digital form and post it sometime.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on that topic. . .

Very good one!