Thursday, May 10, 2007

Sometimes basic is best

Charles Goodin speaks with his usual wisdom and insight (Karate Thoughts Blog: Countering Intricate Techniques):
If someone applies a joint lock to you, there probably is a counter. But if you do not know the counter or if it is too late to apply it, sometimes a crude, rough technique works the best.

Many martial artists do not know how to handle being slammed to the ground or into an object.


So true. So true. Read his whole post, then think about it, and drill. I was showing Mike a few days ago how I do what I call "keeping the initiative," keeping my opponent back on his heels and driving through him with strikes, shoulder bumps, pushes, checks, and forearms. I didn't tell him I was going to do it, I just did, then it opened his eyes - he stopped the round and asked me about it, then proceeded to do the same to me for the next two exchanges. To me, as an instructor, it means he got it. It's basic, crude, but effective, like Mike, himself!

We can apply countless examples of this. Remember basic beats complex, in many cases. Can you think of some examples?

No comments: